Tuesday 24 May 2011

My second day in hospital......

So on the second day in hospital I was already awake when the nurses came in and did their usual rounds of tests and blood pressure etc. The porter came round with the newspaper, we got one every morning, sadly it was The Daily Fail....I mean Mail....but I read it and it wasn't too bad. Better than nothing!

The kitchen staff came in with my breakfast on a tray, it was toast in a little silver toast rack, butter and a pot of tea with cup and milk jug and sugar bowl etc. It looked lovely but I still couldn't eat. I still felt sick, and I had a migrane on top of that.

The main nurse, the one I liked called Helena with the nice Irish accent came in about an hour later and I realised I had fallen asleep, Carl arrived too at this point. She asked me if I could eat anything, but I shook my head. I really couldn't manage it. She got me some more anti sickness but said it works better in the buttocks. I have never had any shots in the butt cheek before, was kinda funny. Anyway it worked and about an hour afterwards I managed one half a piece of cold dry toast, but I couldn't manage anything else.

The physiotherapist came in to see me and put the corset on, she explained that for at least the next 6 weeks, I could not get up, sit or walk without that corset. She said that they didn't know how I was going to react to standing up after so long laying down and after the anaesthetic and surgery etc. So slowly, and using the special techniques she taught me, I got up. It felt really good actually, it didn't really hurt and apart from a alight light headedness, I didn't feel dizzy and I didn't feel sick. Nothing! So she helped me walk up and down in my room and do a little bit of "marching" and then I was allowed to sit on the edge of the bed, and I ate another half of dry toast.

Funnily enough even just that action tired me out loads and I went to sleep when I got back into bed.
Carl sat next to me on a chair and held my hand, and I woke up and saw that he was asleep too, holding my hand, this made me smile, I went back to sleep.

At lunch time, Carl had to go to work, and although he didn't want to leave me, he knew two of my friends from work were coming over and then my parents would be over too, so he was ok about it and so was I.
My friend Jim came to see me, and so did some others from work. They bought me a nice card and some chocolates and magazines. It was nice having a little catch up with them, I have kinda missed them!! 
They arrived when I was sat on the edge of the bed, with the physio getting me up for a proper walk, and since the gowns show pretty much everything, I said Hi and just asked them to give me a few minutes! The physio took me for a walk down the corridoor and around the corner, and then we came back. I sat on the bed and caught up with my friends, and then I lay back down and took it easy for a while.

Mum arrived while they were still there and she bought flowers with her, they were gorgeous and made the room a little more homely. Once they left, Mum sat with me and we chatted for a while, she helped me up and I got up again for a little bit and then got back into bed. Dad arrived soon after and they stayed with me until about 7, when they had to go back for Maisy, who was with Gran at home, so they could walk her etc. I didn't really want them to go, I dunno why I just didn't....but I had to accept it so, it wasn't the end of the world!

I was still on paracetamol drips, anti-biotics, tramadol and nurofen and also the stronger painkillers 2 times a day, oxycodon. The oxycodon was the only thing that hit the spot, and it also gave me crazy dreams. Really vivid and weird dreams about all sorts of stuff, I remember all of them. Every time I sleep, the dreams come!

The nurses popped in and out, and the nice nurse Helena came in and told me that she needed to check the wound dressing. She drew a circle around the bleeding, just to see if it got any worse...
She also changed the sheets with me still in the bed, it was quite an art. I recon nurses must have at least one whole class on that skill ;)
(I was going to be a nurse and had all my nursing uni interviews, but then changed my mind)

Once everyone left, by about 8pm I started watching 24 series 7 which we were up to (still have not seen series 8) and house which i'm only a series behind on now...after that I was asleep. I slept pretty well, until 3am when I woke up in such pain that I actually ended up crying. I was shaking and crying and it was so bad....I hated pressing the nurse call button because I felt guilty, but I felt I had no choice....

Now the day nurses were fantastic, really sweet and attentive, made me really comfortable and I never had any problems. The night nurses however left me feeling a little bit un-cared for.....I mean they meant well and a few of them were really sweet. But a few of them just didn't get it...this time....once I said how much pain I was in, do you know what they brought me to take? After a day and night of morphine, pethadin, oxycodon, tramadol and more?? ONE IBUPROFEN!!! LOL!
I took it...but as expected, within half an hour nothing had changed. I pressed the button again and asked a nice nurse to help me into the corset and up so that I could go to the loo, and once I was back in bed I explained my predicament....within 5 minutes I was given some oxycodon....thank God!

 I knew it wouldn't be instant, so I tried watching house on dvd in my laptop but turns out I was loading it wrong, because it didn't work. So I turned the TV on. First I watched the end of a 5th Gear, and then, in imense pain...I flicked one channel up and it was Sky Movies on an old movie about the war and it was kinda funny so I couldn't even be bothered to change the channel......I LOVED this film....it was about an acting troupe in poland during WWII and it was a comedy too. It was so good, I fell asleep just before the end, annoyingly, because the Oxycodon had worn in and it makes you tired etc...since I got home I found out it was called "To be or not to be" and was a 1942 film...it was really good....I slept then until they woke me up for tests at 7am and then slept again until breakfast at half 8.......pretty much pain free..thank god...

No comments:

Post a Comment